Wednesday, February 6, 2008

14 Comic Book Couples I Love - Part 10



Admittedly, I'm kind of cheating with these two. They did have a brief love affair in the comics but it only lasted the length of a Greg Rucka mini-series and didn't end well. In the animated series where they appeared together, however, their love was charmingly bizarre, snarky and cheerfully insular. So it is with a slight twinge of guilt at bending my own rules that I admit my fondness for . . .

10. Huntress and The Question



There are other couples with extensive histories and backstories I could have chosen but very few that make me grin quite like these two. In the DC Comics, The Question was a gentleman with a uniquely Zen and philosophical perspective. In the excellent mini by Greg Rucka, Huntress: A Cry For Blood, he came across the passionate, ill-tempered Huntress. They were both equally stubborn and equally determined to get justice done in their own way.



Naturally, opposites attracted and he tried to help her find inner peace during a short while while she was on the run from an excellent frame job for murders she didn't commit. The whole ordeal made for a very tenuous, hesitant courtship - one under way too much pressure to last. In the comics, he didn't help her find peace and neither one of them walked away happy (still a fantastic read, mind you).



In the Justice League Unlimited animated series, however, their love life goes rather differently . . .

(just FYI - the following is 9 minutes of PURE AWESOME, so go and get a soda or something first. Do not watch if prone to seizures or frightened of the voice of Jeffrey Combs)


Once again, I love the smart-asses who love one another. They're both very much in their own way outsiders (no, not like that - okay, yes, technically Huntress for like five minutes but I digress) who found out they didn't have to be alone. If that doesn't make you at least a little smushy inside, then I say "Bah!" to you. Bah!

Of course, the fact that it's a love affair between Jeffrey "Re-Animator" Combs and Amy "Fred/Illyria from Angel" Acker may also explain why I'm so smitten with it. I mean, two staples of horror and sci-fi drama as superheroes in love? The casting was almost as inspired as when they used Nathan Fillion for the voice of Vigilante, the superhero cowboy and-

. . . Good Lord, I'm a nerd.

Anyways, here's to The Huntress and The Question - may their love live forever on DVD.

No comments: