Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Feeding the Comics Jones

Today's haul is as follows . . .


DEFINITES:




Booster Gold #8 - Yeah, I heard Geoff Jones is leaving the title in four issues. And that Ellis is leaving Thunderbolts. Oh, and that Immortal Iron Fist is getting a whole new creative team now that I've finally started picking it up.

But c'mon, people, let's not overreact! All this means is that we must enjoy the awesome now . . . for the Awesome Shortage of 2009 will be a great and terrible ordeal for us all.

Dark times are coming. I can smell them on the wind.

. . . anyways - Booster Gold? Totally sweet.

Gen 13 #19 - You know, if I'd known this Oliver fellow was so adept at writing, I would have helped his freaky Vertigo bug series make it past 30 issues. Ah, well. C'est la mort.

Wonder Woman #19
- The whole blogosphere is waiting for you, and the bad-assery that you do.

Serenity: Better Days #2
- Good fun, but I just wish the title of this mini wouldn't keep getting that damn song stuck in my head.

Doktor Sleepless #6 - Ellis + SCIENCE! / Futurism x Grittiness (X - 2Y) = WIN?

George R. R. Martin's Wild Cards - Hard Call #1 - . . . Seriously? Wow! I'm tempted to do a whole post just about how much this pleases me. This series was like crack cocaine for me when I was in High School. If memory serves, the beautiful execution of this universe's "Regular people turning into freaks/superpowered folks since 1946" premise made Heroes look like freakin' Wolfpack.

Let's hope this comic lives up to the series I loved so much.

Echo #2
- Terry Moore doing a sci-fi thriller is sort of like watching Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - a surprisingly delightful, well-executed experience you'd never see coming. This is getting me seriously stoked for his Runaways, er, run.

MAYBES:



Batman Death Mask #1
- I am perversely curious. But what else is new? If nothing else, this manga-style Batbook looks like it'll be a delightful way to get my brain ready for the joyous East Meets West Crack that is Batman: Gotham Knight.

Fantastic Four #556 - See above, re: curiosity of a perverse nature. Only replace Manga Batman with "Millar-written FF".

WAITING FOR THE TRADE:




Criminal 2 #2 - And as soon as my tax return comes in, I'm totally buying Vol. 1. Yes, I know I'm slow. I have no excuse as I love Noir and Sleeper kicked my brain in with how amazing it was.

Scud The Disposable Assassin #23
- The gentleman and scholar known as Chris Sims* just let the cat out of the bag that you'll be able to pick up the entire series - all 800 Pages of it - for a mere 30 dollars in a few months. SOLD!

Suburban Glamour #4 - OH MY GOD THE ART LOOK AT IT SO BEAUTIFUL MY EYES ARE MELTING-
*vicious slap to the face*
*cough*

Uh, I mean, this looks kinda cool.
Whatever.
The author/artist of this book has also put up a soundtrack for the comic.
Y'know, if you're into that sort of thing.

I MAY BUY THIS JUST TO SEEM SMARTER THAN I ACTUALLY AM:



A People's History Of American Empire GN -
. . . How do you like them apples?
(I admit it - Good Will Hunting is the only way I've ever even heard of this book)


And What Are Y'all Buying Today???


*I have no idea if Chris Sims is, in actuality, any kind of a scholar. Hell, I bet he hasn't even read Howard Zinn's A People's History of American Empire.
Loser.

No comments: