Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Welcome to The LookOut, "YOUR NAME HERE" . . .


Aloha and bienvenidos to my humble blog about comics. I am your host, K. D. Bryan. I write, draw (badly) and blog in my spare time.

A quick primer for folks new to The LookOut (as all the cool kids call it*):

1.
I am a 31-year-old writer who writes when he is not earning a living through soul-deadening retail-related labor. I currently write fairly well-received short stories (found hither and yon) but I'm aspiring to write comics and the next Passable American Novel. I have something cooking in the very early stages with this talented gentleman, whose name is Shad Tischer. A hint of what's to come can be found more specifically here.

2.
I do semi-regular Haiku/Limerick Reviews of new comics. Most of them are favorable because if a book makes me unhappy, I just stop reading it. I'm a bad comic book fan, I know.

3. I have written a pretty well-liked list of 14 Comic Book Couples I Love, which has been unfinished for over a year now because I am a jerk. Luckily, since people have been asking what my "Scott and Jean" is, I will soon respond with "Scott and Emma" (although fellow comics blogger Kevin Church's answer of alcohol and more alcohol is also high on the list). This kooky list of my favorite comic book couples has generated the most Google hits for The LookOut - mostly relating to A) images of Spider-Man and Mary-Jane Watson-Parker, B) comics about people making love (I can only imagine - Illustrated Classics 11 - The Karma Sutra?), and C) Emma Frost naked.



. . . blogging can be a very fulfilling hobby. Just not when I check my search strings.


4.
I badly illustrate and write a webcomic based on my real life called K. D.'s Real Life. Yes, my creativity knows no bounds. If you would prefer to read biographical comics by a talented comic book artist instead, I recommend clicking here.

5.
Screechy fan entitlement drives me bonkers as a general rule but I get a lot of traffic whenever I dig down into my well of harsh criticism and drop the hammer down on titles or trends in the industry which greatly upset me. It is a conundrum, wrapped in a riddle, shipped in a enigma and stamped with a self-addressed mystery. In any case, I thank the always awesome ladies over at When Fangirls Attack and every other kind soul who's been nice enough to link here. You know who you are and I thank you.



6. My most consistent Google search engine term since the start of The LookOut has been "Emma Frost naked". Often, I hate the Internet. And yet, I continue to blog. So, clearly, I am full of self-loathing and confusion, which I mask with dry wit. Just like Emma Frost (or let's face it, Deadpool, given the level of my comedic stylings). Oh, the irony.

7. I am usually much more amusing and cheekily nerdtastic than this. Honest to Gosh. It's just been a long night full of writer's block, so I'm a tad cranky. If you feel like continuing to follow The LookOut, I shall prove to you why I should write comics or at the very least, entertain you with Bonus Video Content.



So, in short, The LookOut - Come for the incisive feminist critiques and comic book musings, stay for the Chimpanzee Riding on A Segway. Bam, bam-ba-ba-bam!


*Nobody actually calls it that. No matter how much I wish they would.

5 comments:

wiec? said...

thanks for the into and all the links. killing time at work will be so easy today.

SallyP said...

Oh you ARE nerdtastic.

K. D. Bryan said...

wiec? - Happy to oblige. Hey, given your icon, I thought this video might be a particularly great time waster for you.

SallyP - Aw, shucks. Thank you! Guy Gardner Week was totally awesome, btw.

Melaina Comics said...

Awww... Gee, thanks for the link! I'm also starting up a new blog, though I haven't really gotten into a groove with it yet. But stay tuned. And I would love to return to props by linking to you, once I do. Love your post!

K. D. Bryan said...

Melaina - Hey, you're very welcome! And I'll add your blog to my sidebar list of blogs toot suite. And thanks!