Thursday, January 8, 2009

Excalibur on the rocks



As it might not surprise some of you to know, one of my favorite comic book runs is Warren Ellis' all-too-brief run on the (mostly) British Mutant Superteam known as Excalibur, if only because it gave us the glorious bastard that is Peter Wisdom. I'm also, more obscurely, a fan of the new Doctor Who show. So, when I learned Paul Cornell, the gentleman behind Family of Blood and the current Captain Britain and MI:13 series had his own blog, of course I had to take a look. And I'm quite glad I did, as it led me to this fine UK-based fellow's blog and more importantly, his drink recipes for major British Marvel characters. I have to say, his Peter Wisdom? Spot-on.

Still, something like this is too cool for me not to take up as a challenge. So, may I present my very own Excalibur-themed Cocktails!

Pryde And Wisdom




Smart money says a shot of painfully strong English Scotch with a Chicago-based beer as a chaser would do the trick. Still, not nearly creative enough for my tastes. Plus, all the best beers come from small breweries in Colorado, not Illinois.

The Pryde & Wisdom


1 oz Aftershock Cinnamon Liquor (for Wisdom's hot knives)
1 oz Blackberry schnapps (for Kitty's tech geekery)
1 1/2 oz Cranberry Juice (because Kitty would insist on something in this being healthy)
1/2 oz Everclear (because Wisdom would have to thumb his nose up at Kitty's attempts at making his alcohol healthy)

One of these and I imagine you'd end up having neither much pride or wisdom, which is a sad comment on how they're no longer together.
(And, if your tastes run to emo, whiny Russians, you can replace the Aftershock with Vodka and Everclear with more vodka, assuming you're one of those people.)

The Douglock



Bright yellow 'bot with blue accents? I think a variation on Electric Lemonade is in order. Try to use only Top Self ingredients, if possible.

1 oz Vodka
1/2 oz Blue Curacao
2 oz Sweet and sour
1/4 oz Goldschläger
1 splash 7-Up


Stay Out of Me Medlab!
(a.k.a. The Moira McTaggart)




Since she's now a deceased Scottish doctor, I must sadly recommend the Scotch Daisy (lifted in whole cloth from oh-so-helpful The Webtender)

"Ingredients:

* 2 oz Scotch
* 1 oz Lemon juice
* 1/2 tsp superfine Sugar
* 1/2 tsp Grenadine
* 1 Maraschino cherry
* 1 Orange slice

Mixing instructions:

In a shaker half-filled with ice cubes, combine the Scotch, lemon juice, sugar, and grenadine. Shake well. Pour into an old-fashioned glass. Garnish with the cherry and the orange slice."

A little fruity for such a strong lass but there's hard Scotch at it's core. R.I.P., Doc.*

(*And yes, I know Sean would not approve. Shut up.)



Did you guys know there's actually a drink called a Wolfsbane? Remember when Rahne thought alcohol would "taste evil"? Yeah, you know, this drink doesn't strike me as dissuading her from that notion (egg? really?). Let's try to think up something better.

Bad Wolfsbane

1/2 oz Gold Tequila (to shake things up)
1/2 oz Goldschläger (the fresher the better)
2 oz Mead (preferably from the hair of the dog that bit you)
1 oz Summer Ale (preferably a Blond Summers Ale)

And yes, I know that mixing mead, beer, tequila and Goldschlager will make you . . . (wait for it) . . . sick as a dog!

And we mustn't forget Lockheed.



Burn Your Clothes

A shot that, much like Lockheed, is small but burns mightily.

1 1/2 oz chilled Tequila
1 1/2 oz cinnamon schnapps
4 dashes Tabasco® sauce

And on that note, I think I'm done for now. If I get any further requests, I may consider putting out more of these.

Happy reading and happy drinking . . . assuming any one of you out there is crazy enough to try making these.

4 comments:

The Red Monk said...

what no Meggan, no Britain no Rachel?

and you call yourself a fanboy.

Mark Roberts said...

Good lord, what have I started...

Top marks, friend. I implore you all to make some cocktails, British/Excalibur themed or otherwise.

K. D. Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K. D. Bryan said...

Red Monk - I'll show you fanboy, you punk. I included Douglock, for crissakes. DOUGLOCK. If that doesn't establish Geek Cred, I don't know what does.

The Sword Is Drawn - Deliciousness. You have started deliciousness.

And gracias! Thanks again for the inspiration.