Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Formal Apology.and The Plugging of Geeky Greatness


It has belatedly occurred to me that a guy who just put up a post about how much he loved Spider-Man 2099 really doesn't get to rip on X-Force.

I'm sorry for being "that guy".

As way of apology, here's a free comic book to read. It's the interesting first issue of a sci-fi meets noir headbender series called Existence 2.0, courtesy of the good folks over at Comic Book Resources. Maybe not your cup of tea if you don't like unsympathetic protagonists, noir-ish plots and a liberal amount of killing but hey, I enjoyed it. Of course, I am a terrible person, so your mileage may vary. Now, if only the folks behind the intriguing Chew series would be kind enough to put the sold out issue of #1 online for similar perusal, I'd be doubleplus happy. Ah, well. That's just what I get for not hitting my comic shop every Wednesday like a proper geek. I even slept through my alarm today and missed getting my copy of Wednesday Comics (along with Booster Gold and Superman: World of New Krypton). Even if the Superman part of it is up for free at USA Today, the lack of this oversized pamphlet o' fun in my hands makes me a Sad Panda.

Ah, but there is one thing on the horizon that makes me happy. Let's talk about The Middleman, shall we?



This fantastic show, based on the immensely terrific comic book series of the same name created by Javier Grillo-Marxuach, was a witty, light-hearted and impressively clever show about two people who "fought evil so you don't have to." Alas, this always enjoyable romp was canceled because . . . well, I don't know exactly. Life must be tempered with sadness?



*sigh*

Since I can't attend the upcoming Comic Con Panel where the last episode will be read aloud, I must harbor hope for a different dream. While it's true that Javier Grillo-Marxuach has moved on to a new, intriguing show, I still hold a slim, geeky hope in my heart for it's resurrection. True, the chances of it being brought back on the air are nearly a million-to-one but in a world where Futurama returned due to strong DVD sales, I don't see the harm in begging all of you to purchase the box set of Season 1. My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity.



Who knows? Stranger things have happened. At the very least, you'll be up one box set of an extremely great TV show. I know that, despite my dire finances, I'll be picking it up and placing it proudly between my Series Collections of Wonderfalls and Firefly (of course, if you're an alphabetizing TV fanatic freak, I suppose you'd have to put it between MI:5 and MST3K or something).


And that's just TWO
minutes from ONE episode!
So, to sum up - mea culpa, happy reading and happy watching!

No comments: